Hawk's Edge   Student Email   Blackboard     Profile Update   Log Out

Student Leadership Opportunities
2019-20

Student leadership offers HNU students a chance to explore interests, develop skills and new passions, gain leadership experience, improve communication and organizational abilities, and build an appreciation for the diverse community in which we live.

The following positions are available for the 2019-20 academic year. Please click on the name of the position for the job description:

Information Sessions

Attend an information session to learn more about the open positions, the application process, and ask questions from staff and current student leaders.

• Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 12:00pm in the Hawk's Nest
  • Tueasday, January 15, 2019 - 12:00pm in the Hawk's Nest

How to Apply

In order to apply for any of these positions, you must have:

Frequently Asked Questions

What class standing do I have to be to apply for these positions?

For the Resident Assistant position, you must have junior standing (60 or more units completed) for the next academic year to apply.  For all other positions listed above, you must have sophomore standing for the next academic year to apply.

Can I apply for more than one position?

Yes, you may apply for multiple positions by indicating so on the application. You must complete the applicable essay questions for each position applied for. In addition, you must be enrolled in CALP 191 for spring 2019 or have completed it in the past.

What if I just want to apply for the Orientation Team?

Peer Mentors serve as orientation leaders for their specific freshmen cohorts. Applicants that only want to work during Orientation can apply at a later date for either the Transfer Student Orientation Team Leader or Parent and Family Orientation Team Leader positions. 

What does the interview process entail?

The interview process consists of a group interview followed by an individual interview. Group interviews will take place on Friday, February 8, 2019. Individual interviews will take place during the dates of February 18 - March 1, 2019. You must attend both parts of the interview process in order to be selected to a position.

When will I find out if I get selected for a position?

Every candidate will be notified regarding their status (selected or not) by Wednesday, March 13, 2019.

When is the application due by?

The application due date is Monday, January 28, 2019 by 5PM. You must have all application materials submitted by that point or your application will not be considered.

What type of references do I need?

It’s helpful to include at least one professional reference (a supervisor/boss, professor, advisor, etc.). We suggest not putting down your friends as references but rather those who can speak about your strengths as someone qualified for the position(s) you apply for.

I don’t have a resume. Can someone help me create one?

HNU Career Services (located in the Brennan Student Success Center) is a great place to receive assistance in creating and editing your resume.

Will getting hired for a student leadership position affect my financial aid?

Potentially (in regards to the RA or Summer RA positions). Please check with your financial aid counselor if you plan to apply for a RA or Summer RA position to see how these positions may impact your financial aid.

Timeline

November 28 - Info Session #1  (12:00pm in the Hawk's Nest)
December 3 – Applications available online
January 15 - Info session #2 (12:00pm in the Hawk's Nest)
January 28 – Applications Due by 5PM
February 8 – Group Interviews
February 18 - March 1 – Individual Interviews
March 13 – Offer letters sent out